West Allis-West Milwaukee Enrollment Center
During COVID-19 Shutdown

Until further notice, the Enrollment Center of the West Allis-West Milwaukee School district will be conducting business electronically rather than on an in-person basis.

Since the physical Enrollment Center will be closed, you can contact staff via telephone (414-604-3014) or by
clicking here and leaving the required information.  Enrollment Center Staff will then get back to you regarding your student’s new enrollment, change of address or withdrawal from school.

Gov. Evers has ordered
the Wisconsin Department of Health Services to close all Wisconsin public and private schools.  New Enrollment information can be collected but the enrollment cannot be completed until the state and district reopen its schools.  Students should remain enrolled and engaged with their current school district until West Allis-West Milwaukee Schools reopen at which time the new student enrollment can be completed.

Four-Year-Old Kindergarten (4K) Enrollment

Is your child four-years-old by September 1st?

Enroll into the 4K Program for the upcoming school year. All students will have a seat at their neighborhood school.

How do I enroll my four-year-old into the 4K Program?

Students in grades 4K-12, follow the same process for enrollment. Please click here for resident enrollment information

Neighborhood Schools

Beginning in year 2018-2019, only students transitioning to a secondary grade level (Intermediate or High School) and have a sibling who is attending a building that is outside of the attendance area could choose to attend that same school with their sibling. New resident students at the elementary level will attend their neighborhood school. Click here for Implementation Plan for Neighborhood Schools. 

4K Jump Start

This program is designed to support a successful transition to school for full-day 4K students. Students will get to know their teacher, learn and practice school/classroom procedures, and become familiar with their new school.

A typical 4K day for your child may include:

  • Benefit from whole group and small group learning experiences.

  • Explore literacy, math, writing, technology and creative play

    • Literacy: letter naming, formation of letters and sounds. Rhyming, identifying beginning sounds  and expanding  vocabulary are important components of our day.

    • Math: number writing and recognition, counting, patterning and sorting. Students also work with math vocabulary and problem solving.

    • Read alouds are included in math and literacy learning; “carpet time” offers new learning.

    • Skills based instruction: scissors, glue, pencil, markers/crayons.

  • Music, movement, creative play and arts are incorporated daily.

  • Students enjoy outside recess daily (weather permitting).

  • Rest time.

Resident Enrollment

Where do I enroll?

To enroll your child, visit our Enrollment Center on the 5th floor of the WAWM Administration Office with the required documents.

West Allis-West Milwaukee Administration Office
1205 South 70th Street, West Allis, 5th Floor

Monday through Friday:  7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

From September through May, the Enrollment Center is closed when school is not in session. From June through August, the Enrollment Center is closed on holidays and during the week of July 4th.

What should I bring?

  • Parent/Guardian Picture ID (Driver’s License) or Voter Registration Card.

  • Child’s original Birth Certificate.

  • Proof of Residency: The adult resident must be present and bring one (1) document from Column A and one (1) document from Column B.  Documents must be in the name of the resident.

Column A  Column B 
- Mortgage statement or property deed.

- Most current Property Tax statement.
- A closing statement for purchase of a home.
- A signed lease including the Landlord’s name, address, and telephone number. 
(Will be verified.)

- Current utility bill (e.g., gas, water/sewer, electric)
- Utility deposit receipt for new service.
- Department of Health and Human Resources document for benefits.
- Auto insurance or health insurance statement.
- Homeowner’s or Renter’s Insurance statement.

If you have these documents, it helps to bring them too:

  • Immunization Record  

  • Previous school information (Name, Address, Telephone) 

  • Guardianship/Custody Documentation 

  • Student Transcript (Grades 9-12 only) 

  • Special Education Documents

Students are not considered enrolled and/or registered until the Proof of Residency process is complete. In accordance with Wisconsin State Statute 121.77(1) any child who physically resides in the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District for a purpose other than school attendance may be considered a resident student and may be eligible for tuition-free admission.  A child who resides with an adult other than his/her parent within the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District shall be deemed a resident of the district if the child establishes, to the satisfaction of the Superintendent or designee, that the primary purpose for which he/she lives in the district is for a reason other than attending a West Allis-West Milwaukee school.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding enrollment, please contact the West Allis-West Milwaukee District School District Enrollment Center via email  Enrollment@wawmsd.org or telephone 414-604-3014.

Open Enrollment

For more information contact the Enrollment Center at 414-604-3014.

What is Public School Open Enrollment?
Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live. Applications may be submitted to up to three nonresident school districts.

Who may participate in open enrollment?
Pupils in 5-year-old kindergarten to grade 12 may apply to participate in open enrollment.

Open enrollment for prekindergarten, 4-year-old kindergarten and early childhood education is limited. Parents should call their resident school districts to find out if their preschool-aged children qualify for open enrollment.

How and when may parents apply?
The open enrollment application period from February - April. The application period closes at 4:00 p.m. on April 30. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.

Parents may apply online at https://dpi.wi.gov/open-enrollment.

Can I apply to a virtual charter school under open enrollment?
A pupil may only open enroll to an online/virtual school if: (1) the school has been created as a virtual charter school that meets the requirements of the charter school law [Wis. Stats. 118.40 (8)] or (2) the pupil is required to physically attend school in the nonresident school district every day that school is in session. Other important things to know about applying to virtual charter schools:

- A virtual charter school is not homeschooling. Pupils attending virtual charter schools are public school pupils.
- You must know the nonresident school district in which the virtual charter school is located. If you have any questions about this, call the virtual charter school.
- You must know your resident school district in order to apply.
- A list of  virtual charter schools may be found at this webpage.

Can an application be rejected?
Yes. Nonresident school districts may deny an application if regular or special education space is not available for the pupil; special education or related services are not available; or if the pupil has been referred for a special education evaluation but has not yet been evaluated. Nonresident school districts may also deny an application if the pupil has been expelled during the current or preceding two years for certain violent conduct or if the pupil was habitually truant from the nonresident school district during any semester in the current or previous school year.

If there are more applications than spaces, pupils must be selected randomly, after giving preference to pupils already attending school in the nonresident school district and siblings of currently-attending pupils.

Some school districts establish waiting lists to fill unused spaces, but others do not.

Can a resident district prevent a pupil from leaving?
Yes, in limited circumstances. A resident district can deny a pupil’s application for an invalid application (early or late application or missing information), ineligibility due to age (too young or too old), or if the resident district does not offer the same type of prekindergarten, four-year-old kindergarten, or early childhood program as the nonresident district or the pupil is not eligible for the program in the resident district. These are also reasons that a nonresident district can deny an application.

Can parents appeal if an application is denied?
Parents whose applications are denied may appeal to the DPI within 30 days of the denial. State law requires the DPI to uphold the school district’s decision unless DPI finds that the decision was arbitrary or unreasonable. The DPI’s decision may be appealed to circuit court.

Must pupils reapply every year?
Once a pupil is accepted into a nonresident school district, the pupil may continue to attend that district without reapplication except that:
- The nonresident district may require a pupil to reapply one time—at the beginning of middle school, junior high or high school.
- A pupil may be returned to the resident school district if the special education required in a new or revised IEP is not available in the nonresident district or there is no space.
- A pupil who has become habitually truant in the nonresident district may be returned to the resident district.

Is there a cost to parents for open enrollment?
There is no tuition cost to parents for participation in open enrollment. Parents of open enrolled pupils may be charged the same fees as resident pupils.

Who is responsible for transportation?
Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school.
If transportation is required in the individualized education program (IEP) for a child with a disability, it must be provided by the nonresident district.

School districts may provide transportation to open enrollment pupils if they wish. Usually, if transportation is provided, parents must transport the pupil to a location in the nonresident district.

Low-income parents may apply to the DPI for partial reimbursement of their transportation costs.

Can a parent select a specific school in the pupil’s nonresident school district?
Yes. A parent may request a specific school or program in the nonresident district. However, assignment to the requested school or program is not guaranteed and your pupil may be assigned to a different school other than the one requested. It is up to each nonresident district to determine a pupil’s school assignment.

Can an open enrolled pupil participate in sports and other extra-curricular activities in the nonresident school district?
Open enrolled pupils have the same rights and responsibilities as resident pupils.

Inter-scholastic athletics are governed by the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA), which has rules concerning transfer pupils. Parents should check with the school district’s athletic director about eligibility.

For more information contact:
Public School Open Enrollment Program
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
P.O. Box 7841, Madison, WI 53707-7841
Toll-free: 888-245-2732
Email: openenrollment@dpi.wi.gov
Web site: http://dpi.wi.gov/oe

Intra-District Transfer

Click here for Intra-District Transfer Request Form

Step 1:  Parent/Guardian

  • In accordance with the West Allis-West Milwaukee School Attendance Area Policy 432 (432-Exhibit and 432-Rule), the reasons the district will consider intra-district transfer requests are limited to legal and medical matters.

  • If school administration initiates a district transfer, it will be the assigned school until the child transitions to a new grade level (elementary, intermediate, high school) or according to the timeline established by school administration.

  • Intra-District Transfer Requests should originate with the school the child currently attended.

  • A legal matter requires legal documentation (e.g., restraint/custody order documentation).

  • A medical matter requires medical documentation (e.g., physician documentation regarding medical condition) and a signed Release of Information.

Step 2:  School receiving the Intra-District Transfer Request

  • Once the request and documentation has been received, the school will forward it to the WAWM School District Office: Manager of School Services.

Step 3:  WAWM District - Manager of School Services

  • Once submitted, the Manager of School Services will:

    • Verify the Intra-District Transfer Request and required documentation.

    • Review school records and related information for submission to Enrollment Panel.

Step 4: WAWM District Enrollment Panel

  • The Intra-District Transfer Request and documentation will be reviewed by the WAWM Enrollment Panel to make a determination.  WAWM Enrollment Panel may include:

    1. Manager of School Services.
    2. Manager of Student Services.
    3. WAWM Health Care Professional (district nurse and/or district doctor).
    4. Director of Leadership and Learning.
    5. Designated Principal.

Step 5: Determination Notification

  • The parent/guardian will be notified in writing.

Note: If parent/guardian wishes to appeal the determination, the Intra-District Transfer Request and all documentation must be submitted to WAWM School Superintendent.


Resident Attendance Area Maps

If you need assistance identifying or locating your neighborhood school, please call 414-604-3014.

          Elementary School Map
          Intermediate School Map
          High School Map

Attendance Area Information