Free and Reduced Program Guidelines

Children need healthy meals to learn. The West Allis-West Milwaukee School District offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.30; lunch costs $2.05 for Elementary, $2.20 for Intermediate and $2.30 for High School. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $0.30 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch.

DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Your child’s School Office or the District Office C/O Nicole Weeks at 1205 South 70th Street. 5th Floor. West Allis, WI 53214. Telephone: (414) 604-3033

WHO CAN GET FREE MEALS? All children in households receiving benefits from FoodShare, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or W-2 Cash Benefits, can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION for free meals, do not complete the application. But do let the school know if any children in your household are not listed on the NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION letter you received.

CAN FOSTER CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income. More information can be found at: under “Eligibility Benefits for Students in Foster Care, Kindship Care, and Chips.

CAN HOMELESS, RUNAWAY, AND MIGRANT CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Jessica Lovely in the Student Services Department at 414-604-3016 to see if they qualify.

WHO CAN GET REDUCED PRICE MEALS? Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines, shown on this application.

SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? Please read the letter carefully and follow the instructions. Call Nicole Weeks in the District Office at (414) 604-3033 if you have questions.

MY CHILDREN WERE APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILD(REN) GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes, and we may also ask you to send written proof.

IF I DON’T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to Nicole Weeks at (414) 604-3033. If you still disagree with the decision, you may also ask for a hearing by writing to: Hearing Official
1205 South 70th Street
West Allis, WI 53214 

MAY I APPLY IF SOME IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

WHO SHOULD I INCLUDE AS MEMBERS OF MY HOUSEHOLD? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE INCLUDE OUR HOUSING ALLOWANCE INCOME? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

MY SPOUSE IS DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE. IS HIS/HER COMBAT PAY COUNTED AS INCOME? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it wasn’t received before s/he was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

MY FAMILY NEEDS MORE HELP. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE MIGHT APPLY FOR? Click here to find out how to apply for FoodShare.