The West Allis-West Milwaukee Music Department offers string instruction for all grades. Orchestra is offered in grades 4 and 5 in the elementary schools. Learning to play a string instrument and belong to the school orchestra can play a very important role in your child’s development. Numerous studies have shown that playing a musical instrument increases the productivity of a child in many other areas of learning, such as math and reading. Children also learn dedication, teamwork, and enjoy the accomplishment of learning to play an instrument.
- Commitment to the Program for the entire year.
- Attendance at weekly Rehearsals.
Rehearsals are usually held before the school day one day a week.
Parents are responsible for getting their child to school for the weekly
- Attendance at weekly small group lessons.
Lessons are scheduled by the music teacher during the school day after
consulting the child’s classroom teacher.
- Homework: Practice assigned lesson book pages and music 5 days a week,
20 minutes per day
- Performance at school concerts (Winter, Spring, and All-City Festival - dates
will be provided)
- Grades will be given every quarter. Grades are based on attendance and participation at rehearsals and preparation for weekly lessons.